Ruth Chris might be a steakhouse, but their best dish is actually poultry! This delicious Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken Copycat recipe makes a restaurant-quality meal easier and closer to home than ever before!
If you have ever dreamed of turning your home kitchen into a steakhouse this Stuffed Chicken is for you! This fast and easy recipe allows you to craft a gourmet chicken dinner at home with ease. Grab your apron and sharpen your knives, because it’s time to make Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken!
What You’ll Love About Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Flavor Rivals the Restaurant!
Some restaurant dishes are so easy to love and iconic that they are just begging for an at-home update. No dish works better as a homemade dupe than Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken. It is a flavor-forward medley of cheese and chicken that will stick in your head like a delicious song!
It’s not just the flavor shining bright in this chicken, but also the versatility. This dish is gluten, nut, and egg-free so more allergy sufferers can enjoy this dish with delicious peace of mind!
Easy but Elegant!
Often when you think of your favorite restaurant dish you assume it's too difficult to make outside of a commercial kitchen. That’s just not true, and this amazing dish proves it! The steps in this recipe are easy to follow and in under an hour, you can make a restaurant-quality meal.
Pair this gorgeous Stuffed Chicken with the perfect side dish and glass of your favorite wine for the perfect elegant meal at home.
Gourmet Weeknight Meal!
This amazing recipe makes a dish worthy of the name fine dining, but it's so much easier than it looks! If you want to impress your family or wow your special someone without all the fuss, this Stuffed Chicken certainly delivers!
If you want to impress your date or family this dish is the way to go! The final plate looks so beautiful, especially when paired with the right veggies, but it can be your secret that it came together in under an hour! Plus, you save money staying in versus eating out, so you can splurge somewhere else.
The chicken is the star of this recipe, so be sure to shop smart. Pick out extra large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Keep in mind when choosing your chicken that it must be butterflied and stuffed, so you will want a very large cut.
Fresh, never frozen, chicken breast is best for this recipe; however, in a pinch, you can use frozen chicken but make sure it is fully thawed before using it in this recipe. The best way to thaw chicken breast is in the refrigerator overnight before using it.
Cream cheese is great for this baked chicken because it can handle the heat pretty well. Use your favorite brand of cream cheese in brick form and if you prefer you can opt for low-fat cream cheese.
Another good substitute for this ingredient is Neufchâtel cheese. It's a soft cheese that is similar in texture and flavor to cream cheese, but it has a rind. If using this cheese, scrape the cheese from the rind and use it as an even substitute for this recipe.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sharp cheddar cheese brings a nice salty bite to the chicken. Aged sharp cheddar has an unforgettable salty and cheesy flavor that everyone loves! For this recipe, you will want shreds of cheese, so either purchase shredded or grate some sharp cheddar from the block.
Some pre-shredded cheeses actually have binding agents that make them hold their shape when melted, similar to chocolate chips. To have a more natural melt, opt for a block of cheddar and grate or shred it yourself.
Optionally swap this ingredient with another hard cheese. Gouda and Colby cheese are both good substitutes for this ingredient.
Dry Ranch Seasoning
Dry ranch seasoning adds the most herbaceous and creamy flavor to the filling. Hidden Valley Ranch makes a very nice seasoning, but use your favorite brand or make your own homemade ranch seasoning.
Store-bought ranch seasoning can be high in salt, so try making your own. Here’s an easy recipe for ranch seasoning blend:
- In a small bowl or jar, combine 1 tablespoon of each garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and dill.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Whisk to combine.
This ingredient adds a nice savory flavor to the filling. A good substitute for this ingredient is soy sauce or a blend of soy sauce and ketchup.
Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder
This blend of seasonings is added to the top of the chicken breasts to give them, even more, flavor and a gorgeous color.
A little butter helps the chicken to brown beautifully and adds even more richness.
Equipment for Stuffed Chicken
Baking Sheet with Foil or Silicone Mat
Since this is a baked chicken these tools will serve as your cooking surface. The foil or silicone mat is used for lining the pan and helps the chicken to not stick.
Small and Medium Mixing Bowls
You will need a small mixing bowl for the dry seasoning blend and a medium mixing bowl for the filling.
Rubber Spatula and Small Whisk
To make mixing easy, grab a rubber spatula for the cheesy filling and a tiny whisk makes sifting spice super easy!
Meat-Safe Cutting Board Chef’s Knife or Boning Knife
You will need to cut the chicken to stuff it, so have a freshly sharpened knife ready. Also, use a non-porous cutting board for cutting the raw chicken.
Nobody wants to be responsible for making someone sick and chicken is no joke! Use a calibrated thermometer to check the internal temperature of this Stuffed Chicken.
How to Make it
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, and ranch seasoning.
- Cut the chicken breast lengthwise down the middle to open them into a butterfly shape. Do not cut all the way through.
- Top one-half of the butterflied chicken breasts with the filling mixture.
- Fold the other half over the cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder and sprinkle the seasoning over the exterior of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top each chicken breast with a pat of butter.
- Cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature. Poke the chicken at the thickest portion and be sure you are reading the temperature of the meat and not the filling.
- The finished chicken will have an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Taste the filling before stuffing the chicken and add salt or pepper as needed.
- Be careful not to cut all the way through when cutting the chicken breast.
- You can optionally use a small length of kitchen twine to help seal the stuffed chicken.
- Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
If you have a green thumb and are dying for something to do with your kitchen herbs, try this tasty twist:
- Omit the ranch packet from the filling.
- Substitute with fresh dill, thyme, and minced garlic or shallots.
- Stuff and cook as directed.
If you love bacon, this rendition is right for you:
- Add diced pancetta to the filling mixture.
- Stuff and cook as directed.
If you dream of the sweet flavor of caramelized onions, try this variation:
- Cook some caramelized onions and then allow them to fully cool.
- Mix the caramelized onion into the filling mixture.
- Stuff and cook as directed.
How to Serve Stuffed Chicken
This rich and creamy Stuffed Chicken is the perfect picture of simple restaurant elegance, but it needs some sides! Serve this chicken warm with french-cut green beans or a warm kale salad. The fresh and leafy flavor of green vegetables is the perfect match for all the cream in this chicken.
You cannot forget the starchy side, so try some gorgeous sweet potato fries or delicious creamy mashed potatoes.
Serve this Stuffed Chicken at an intimate dinner for two or as a celebratory meal for the whole family on a special occasion. No matter the day, this Stuffed Chicken makes a dinner you won't soon forget!
How to Store Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken
Every delicious bite of this Stuffed Chicken is worth saving and here’s how:
- Allow the chicken to cool completely.
- Transfer the chicken to an airtight container.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to Reheat Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken
Whenever you reheat leftover chicken you want it to stay as juicy and delicious as the first time. Luckily, this Stuffed Chicken is easy to reheat if you use one of these easy methods
For the best results, reheat this Stuffed Chicken in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until warm throughout.
To reheat quickly without compromising quality, try reheating the chicken on the stove. Add some oil to a medium pan and place it over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the chicken and cook until warm throughout.
If you’re in a big hurry just microwave the chicken warm, but be careful not to microwave it too long or it will become rubbery.
Is Stuffed Chicken Good For You?
This chicken is a creamy and decadent delight. It’s packed with cheese and uses a good amount of salt, so this is definitely more of an indulgent dish. However, this dish is free of many common allergens and an okay indulgence for most diets.
To make this chicken a little lighter, you can opt for low-fat cheeses and try cutting the salt by using homemade or low-fat ranch seasoning.
Overall, if you lead a balanced lifestyle and make thoughtful choices about your eating and activities then indulging in this creamy Stuffed Chicken is great as a once-in-a-while treat!Print
Ruth Chris Stuffed Chicken Copycat
Have you tried the Ruth Chris stuffed chicken yet? Let me tell you, this dish is a winner! The chicken is super tender and juicy with a creamy and cheesy filling that's bursting with flavor. And the best part? It only takes just over 30 minutes to make,
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 packet dry Hidden Valley ranch seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder to taste
- paprika for color
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Add the cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, sharp cheddar cheese and ranch seasoning to a bowl and mix it together.
- Open the chicken breasts evenly slicing them lengthwise down the middle with a sharp knife. Stuff each chicken breast with half of the mixture.
- Mix the paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the two chicken breasts.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the chicken on top. Put a slab butter on top of each chicken breast.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 450°F (230°C). Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature is165°F (74°C).