Chicken and rice is a classic and it's never been as easy or delicious as this! Try this fresh take on Instant Pot Chicken for a perfect easy meal that has flavors for days!
Evenings are crazy enough as it is, why over-complicate things with stressful dinner preparation!? Instead, try this tasty and simple Instant Pot Chicken for a truly stress-free meal with plenty of flavors. This beautiful recipe allows you to whip up a beautiful meal in minutes so say goodbye to meal prep stress and say hello to this delicious Instant Pot Chicken Recipe.
What You’ll Love About This Instant Pot Chicken
Instant Pot Ease
There are few kitchen appliances as noteworthy as the Instant Pot. This amazing countertop pressure cooker makes amazing meals at the press of a button without heating up the whole kitchen or wasting precious time.
Thanks to this handy tool you can prepare everything for a delicious meal of chicken and rice with one pot in a flash. The clean-up is simple and dishwasher-friendly making this meal the ultimate in quick convenience!
Simple but Satisfying
Few dishes are as simple or as satisfying as chicken and rice. It's the perfect combination of protein and grains to make a flavorful and filling meal. This recipe uses the classic flavors of buttery lemon and garlic to highlight the chicken.
This Chicken and Rice is an aromatic and delicious dish you’ll want to eat every night! All you will need is a nice green side dish for a perfectly balanced plate!
Economical Family Meal
Time is not the only thing in your busy life that needs to be budgeted and anyone on a financial budget knows the importance of a thrifty meal. This citrusy, savory meal makes enough food for a group and uses traditionally affordable ingredients.
This family-friendly meal is easy to customize and even batch for a big group. With enough flexibility in this recipe to fit into real life, you can get creative and make this flavor your own! Plus, the leftovers make great lunches, making this the ultimate in budget-friendly meals.
For this recipe choose boneless skinless chicken breast. Cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Yellow or white onion are both great choices for this recipe.
Butter adds creamy fat to the recipe for cooking the veggies and chicken in. If you prefer, you can swap this ingredient with olive oil.
Minced garlic adds a wonderfully savory and sweet flavor to the chicken and rice. Use fresh minced or try a jar of fresh minced.
Chicken broth is the cooking liquid for the rice. Choose low sodium for a less salty bite and more heart-healthy bite. You can also swap this ingredient with vegetable broth if desired.
The key to the tantalizing flavor in this simple chicken and rice dish is fresh lemon juice. It adds a great acidic bite to the dish. Juice one fresh lemon or use store-bought lemon juice.
Long-Grain White Rice
This ingredient is an easy and affordable grain for this meal. Always rinse your rice before cooking it. Place the rice in a strainer and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
Parmesan and lemon go together so well. The mild nuttiness of the cheese pairs perfectly with the citrus flavor of the lemon. For this dish choose either shredded or grated parmesan or grab a block and grate some fresh.
Salt makes the world go ‘round! To add salty savor to this dish choose your favorite type of salt. Kosher sea salt is an excellent natural form of salt to cook with.
Black pepper gives this recipe a nice spicy bite. Use pepper from your shaker or make it a little extra fancy with fresh cracked black pepper.
The Instant Pot is an amazing countertop pressure cooker and so much more. In this recipe, it is used to sauté and as a rice cooker. For this recipe, a 6 or 8-quart model is a perfect size. You will need the Instant Pot lid and you may opt to use the inner pot lid as well during the cooking process.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken
Sauté the Chicken:
- Set the Instant Pot to the ‘sauté’ setting.
- Add butter to the Instant Pot’s inner pot and allow it to melt. Add the garlic and onion and stir to coat.
- Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken and stir to cook it in butter.
- Sauté until no longer pink or about 5 minutes.
- Turn Off the Instant Pot and add the rice, broth, and lemon juice to the Instant Pot. Stir well, and make sure no chicken is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to the ‘sealed’ position.
- Set the Instant Pot to ‘Manual - Hi’ for 8 minutes.
- After the cooking time, allow the steam to naturally release for 2 minutes then ‘quick release’ the remaining steam.
- Open the lid and stir the chicken and rice.
- Add parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stand back and/or wear an oven mitt when releasing the steam to avoid getting scalded.
- If there is extra liquid in the chicken and rice after cooking, stir the mixture well and turn the Instant Pot to ‘sauté’ on medium for a couple minutes or until fully absorbed.
- If the chicken and rice look too thick for your taste, stir in a little extra broth or water to thin it out.
- If it’s hard to reach your Instant Pot, pull the inner pot out after cooking and set it on a hot pad to make serving a little easier!
Crazy for Capers
Add some salty flavor to the dish by adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of capers to the pot before pressure cooking.
Add some fresh flavor and color to the dish by adding some veggies! Sauté some colorful bell peppers with the onions or try adding a half cup of frozen corn into the pot with the rice before pressure cooking.
If you love everything with a little extra dairy, try stirring ¼ cup of heavy cream into the finished rice. Allow it to absorb and taste, add more parmesan or cream as needed.
Mushrooms make every dish more interesting. Add some to this tasty Instant Pot meal for a savory umami flavor! Add the mushrooms with the onions and sauté as directed.
How to Serve Instant Pot Chicken
This Instant Pot chicken is perfect because everything you need for a well-rounded meal is already in this dish. It’s a one-stop-shop sort of meal so all you need to do is scoop and serve!
Pair this Chicken and Rice with green beans or peas and garlic bread. Optionally garnish each plate with a lemon wedge and fresh parsley.
How to Store Instant Pot Chicken
Allow the chicken to cool completely then transfer it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Reheat Instant Pot Chicken
The most reliable ways to reheat this Chicken and Rice are in the Microwave or back in the Instant Pot. Here how:
Transfer the chicken to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on standard setting for up to 2 minutes. Heat in 30-second intervals and stir at each stop to ensure the dish is heating evenly.
Instant Pot on ‘Sauté’ on Low/Stove Top:
Preheat the Instant Pot or place a saucepan over low heat, and add the desired amount of chicken. Heat for up to 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Either way, when you warm it up you can optionally add a splash of stock or cream to the reheated chicken and rice if it seems too dry.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken For This Recipe?
Yes! You can use frozen chicken for this Instant Pot recipe. The chicken can go straight from the freezer to being cooked in this dish. However, it may help to allow the chicken to thaw for at least half an hour so it is easy enough to cut it into cubes.
Is This Instant Pot Chicken Healthy?
This meal is a very basic protein and grain dish. It has a lot to offer in terms of protein and dietary fiber and if you choose low-sodium broth this can be a light and heart-healthy meal. This tasty combination of chicken and rice can help you meet your daily iron and calcium needs.
The biggest drawback of this meal is the lack of green. There’s not really any fruit or veggies in this dish, so be sure to add something fresh to the plate to make a well-rounded and nutritious meal.
There is no added gluten and the dairy is easy to swap out for anyone with a limited diet. With all of these factors, this Chicken and Rice is a clear winner!Print
Instant Pot Chicken Recipe
Looking for a delicious and easy meal that your whole family will love? Look no further than this creamy, dreamy chicken and rice one-pot wonder. Just like risotto, but without all the hard work.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, more or less to taste
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add butter and let melt, then add garlic and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir. Cook until no longer translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in rice, broth, and lemon juice. Stir well, bringing chicken pieces to top.
- Secure lid on pot and set valve to Sealing. Set to Manual High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cook time is completed, let naturally release for 2 minutes, then carefully Quick Release remaining pressure. Stir well and season with parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste. Add a little more chicken broth, if desired, to reach desired consistency – optional.
If you find liquid still remaining on the top of your Instant Pot chicken and rice after cooking, stir well and turn on Sauté mode to fully incorporate.
- Chicken broth: Use 3 cups of chicken broth if you prefer a firmer rice with a more separate grain. Use 4 cups for a more risotto-inspired chicken and rice, with a soupier, more stew-like texture. The rice will still have a clear grain but will be nice and soft. My family and I prefer 4 cups; we like the risotto texture more than when made with 3 cups. However, if you want your version to have clear grains of rice and be less creamy, use 3 cups.
- Rice: Be sure to use white rice for this recipe! Brown rice is not recommended since it would take about 10 minutes longer, which would overcook the chicken. Do not use instant or minute rice.
- Cheese: Fresh Parmesan is ideal, but can sub shredded cheese.
Keywords: instant pot chicken and rice