Every baker needs an easy candy recipe that works for many occasions and this Chocolate Bark is that recipe. From holidays to birthdays to treat yourself days this delicious Chocolate Bark Recipe brings the flavor and the fun!
If there is one treat that no one can say no to, it’s chocolate and there is no better way to enjoy it than in a bark. This thin and crunchy treat will excite your taste buds with its fun and creative flavors. Make the Chocolate Bark your own and serve it for any occasion you can imagine, or just because! Any day is a great day for chocolate so grab some morsels and get ready for your new favorite candy, Chocolate Bark!
What You’ll Love About This Chocolate Bark
This recipe is designed to be customized. You can make this treat your own in every way by choosing your favorite style of chocolate and your favorite mix-ins. That makes this dessert totally versatile and amazing! Add colorful candies to match your event theme or work in the honoree’s favorite mix-in; there are so many ways to make this Chocolate Bark totally unique and 100 percent you!
This is no-fuss candy-making. You don’t need special equipment, molds, or thermometers to make this sweet confection. With pantry staples and common kitchen tools, you can make a treat worthy of any candy shop in no time!
You do not need to know how to temper chocolate or even what tempered chocolate is to make this treat! It is as simple as melt, set, and enjoy. That’s it! Who wouldn’t fall in love with a candy recipe that is this simple!?
Fun for all Ages
This is a delicious recipe to make with young chefs. Little ones will love how creative they can be with flavors, colors, and textures in this treat. Adults will love quality time with their favorite little people and the best part is in the end everyone gets a chocolatey snack!
The opportunities for this bark are endless. It can be so much seeing what whacky flavors little ones will think up in the kitchen! This can be a fun way to introduce children to some kitchen basics and get a very sweet reward!
The flavor profile of your chocolate bark is totally up to you. Choose your favorite type of chocolate or use a mix of a couple.
Dark chocolate is a delicious choice with lots of body and bitter notes. Dark chocolate is great with flavors like almond, caramel, and salt.
Milk chocolate is delicate, smooth, and wonderful for making treats with younger eaters. Milk chocolate pairs great with a lot of flavors, especially hazelnut, and coconut.
White chocolate is a deliciously sweet variation with notes of vanilla flavor. White chocolate pairs well with fruity and nutty mix-ins.
Vegetable shortening will help give the chocolate bark texture. You can substitute this ingredient for vegetable oil, in a pinch.
Large Baking Sheet
To create a nice flat space for the bark to set on, choose a large baking sheet of about 10 inches by 15 inches.
Double-Boiler or Microwave Safe Bowl
To melt the chocolate, choose a stovetop double-boiler or opt for a medium microwave-safe bowl. To make a double boiler, fill a small saucepan with an inch of water and place it over medium heat. Rest a large metal bowl on top of the pot and voila, double-boiler!
Alternatively, if you have a countertop candy melting machine that will work perfectly for this recipe as well.
How to Make Chocolate Bark
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate and shortening, or microwave them in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate on the prepared sheet pan in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with the chosen toppings.
- Chill the bark in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour or until set.
- Crack the bark into pieces and enjoy!
Delicious Chocolate Bark Flavors
Use either white or dark chocolate for this bark and then sprinkle chopped peppermints or Andes Mints over the chocolate as the topping.
Chocolate Coffee Crunch
Use milk or dark chocolate. Top the bark with chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans and cocoa nibs.
M&M Chocolate Bark
Choose your favorite chocolate (white, milk, or dark) and sprinkle it with M&M’s. Use the standard color mix of these candies or use seasonal colors to suit your event.
Cookies ‘n Cream
Use white chocolate and top with crushed sandwich cookies.
Use dark chocolate and top it with cocoa-roasted almond pieces and freeze-dried cherry chunks.
Use dark chocolate and top with caramel bits and flaky sea salt.
Peanut Butter Cup Bark
Use dark chocolate or milk chocolate and top with peanut butter chips.
Use milk or dark chocolate. Top with shavings of sweetened coconut and roasted almond pieces.
Use white chocolate and sprinkle with chopped freeze-dried strawberries.
Use white chocolate and sprinkle the bark with cinnamon chips.
Use your favorite type of chocolate. Top with crushed pretzels, crushed roasted peanuts, M&M Minis, and caramel bits.
Caramel Pretzel Bark
Use dark or milk chocolate and top with crushed pretzels and chopped Rolos.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bark
Use milk chocolate and top with crushed chocolate chip cookies.
Almond Toffee Bark
Use dark chocolate and top with chopped toffee bits and chopped roasted almonds.
Expert Tips for Making Chocolate Bark
- Do not overheat the chocolate. Once chocolate burns it cannot be saved, so keep the heat low or stick to short bursts in the microwave.
- Tap the pan on the counter to get the toppings to sink a little deeper into the bark.
- It's okay to have many different sizes of bark pieces. It’s meant to be rustic!
- If you want to add a little extra flair to any style of bark, save some extra chocolate chips and melt them for drizzling over the finished bark.
How to Make Colorful Chocolate Bark
Beautiful rainbows of chocolate bark are all over the internet. With colorful ideas like ‘unicorn bark’ and holiday hues, it’s hard not to want a piece of these barks! Luckily, making colorful candy bark is way easier than it looks; here’s how:
- Use white chocolate.
- Follow the steps to melt the chocolate but before pouring it onto the pan, add a few drops of your desired color.
- If you want more than one color, separate some of the white chocolate into another bowl before tinting and then add different colors to each bowl.
How to Make Layered Chocolate Bark
If you can’t decide which chocolate flavor is right for your bark, don’t fret! You can have it all with beautifully layered bark! Here’s how to make it:
- Divide the recipe in half. Prepare half the recipe with the first chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate and let it set. Do not add toppings.
- While the first chocolate sets, prepare the second half batch with the second chosen chocolate.
- Carefully pour the second chocolate over the first and then add the desired topping.
- Chill as directed.
This technique works well when one of the chocolates is white chocolate. It gives the bark a nice dramatic effect. If you would rather have a swirl effect, don’t let the first chocolate get very set, and then pour the second chocolate. Use a toothpick to swirl them into a lovely marbled pattern.
How to Serve Chocolate Bark
This chocolate confection is great for any occasion and even makes a great gift. Try adding this Chocolate Bark to your holiday cookie assortment or boxing it up as a giftable treat! It’s perfect on a tray at a party, but don’t expect it to last long!
To make a sweet gifting statement, wrap a couple pieces of this beautiful bark in wax paper then again in brown butcher paper. Seal the parcel with kitchen twine and a cinnamon stick or sprig of lavender. It’s a lovely rustic gift that your special someone will not forget!
How to Store Chocolate Bark
This chocolate bark can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Alternatively, the Chocolate Bark can sit on the counter in a dark, cool spot for up to 4 days.
Be aware that soft, baked toppings like sandwich cookies, freeze-dried fruit, or pretzel bits can get soft in the fridge and will not last as long as Bark with hard candy toppings.
Can I Freeze Extra Chocolate Bark?
Yes, this awesome chocolatey treat can be frozen! Here’s how:
- For best results, wrap each piece of bark individually in plastic wrap.
- Wrap the plastic-wrapped pieces again in foil.
- Place the wrapped bark into a freezer-safe bag.
- Press out the excess air, seal, and label the bag with the date and name of the bark.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Enjoy directly out of the freezer or thaw the bark in the fridge overnight.
Easy Chocolate Bark Recipe
Make Easy Chocolate Bark in a variety of different ways with only 2 main ingredients! It’s the perfect gift for the holidays and takes just 5 minutes to prepare!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 11-12 ounce bag chocolate chips, white, dark, milk, or semi-sweet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or vegetable oil
- various toppings, see ideas in post
- Line a 10×15-inch pan or cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. I like to use a disposable paper bowl or re-usable plastic container for best results. Add shortening or oil. Heat chocolate chips on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Spread chocolate into an even layer on the prepared pan. Top with desired toppings. Chill to set then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days to 2 weeks (depending on the toppings you use; candy toppings last longer than pretzels or cookies, which tend to get stale).
- Peppermint White Chocolate Bark: Sprinkle chopped candy canes or peppermint crunch over melted white chocolate.
- M&M Chocolate Bark: Sprinkle holiday or any flavor M&Ms over melted white or regular chocolate.
- Milk & Cookies Bark: Sprinkle chopped chocolate chip cookies and/or Oreos over melted white chocolate.
- Peanut Butter Cup Bark: Sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups over melted milk or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Caramel Pretzel Bark: Sprinkle chopped pretzels and Rolos over milk or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Almond Toffee Bark: Sprinkle almonds, toffee bits, and cocoa nibs over dark chocolate.
- These are just a few ideas – there are so many options! Clean out your baking pantry and make your favorite flavor combo!