Trail Mix and Muddy Buddies are two snacks that are great on their own. But together they are even better. The sweet muddy buddies pair perfectly with the salty trail mix, so you never get bored while snacking. They are super easy to make as well. Make a large batch of Trail mix muddy buddies and have snacks ready for the whole week. If you’re looking for a delicious snack your kids will love for school, then this is the recipe you want to try.
WHAT’S A MUDDY BUDDY?
You have likely heard of Trail Mix before, but maybe not Muddy Buddies. In some regions of the United States they are also called “puppy chow.” Muddy buddies are an easy snack made from only 4 ingredients that are incredibly addicting.
Muddy buddies are pieces of cereal (usually Chex cereal) coated in peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. It’s not exactly the healthiest snack, but it’s okay to enjoy in moderation.
Chex Cereal: Any flavor of Chex cereal works. It’s best to stick with a cereal similar to Chex that can be covered in chocolate and maintain its structure.
Peanut Butter: Use peanut brands that aren’t natural. Natural PB separates from the oil easily and will not combine and melt as well. It’s also best to use smooth PB.
Chocolate Chips: Milk chocolate or semi-sweet work well. White chocolate can be used, but may be too sweet.
Butter: Melted unsalted butter is the best to use in this recipe. It helps the other ingredients melt easier.
Confectioner’s Sugar: Don’t substitute powdered sugar for other types of sugar. Feel free to increase the amount of sugar used in the recipe.
Trail Mix: Feel free to use store-bought or homemade trail mix. Any mix of ingredients works in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THIS ADDICTIVE SNACK
This delicious snack recipe is simple to make and takes less than 30 minutes! Start off by making the muddy buddies (or puppy chow).
Pour a good amount of cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and melted butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Place them in the microwave for about one minute, or until melted. Give them a good mix to combine, and pour the melted concoction over the bowl of cereal. Gently stir the cereal and melted chocolate together until everything is well coated.
Before the chocolate has set, put the covered cereal into a large Ziploc bag containing about a cup of confectioner’s sugar. Give the bag a good shake until all the cereal is covered with powdered sugar.
Place the cereal onto a baking sheet, but give each piece a bit of space so you don’t get any muddy buddies sticking together. Let them cool completely.
While the muddy buddies are cooling, start making your trail mix. Combine whatever ingredients you like. Our trail mix has almonds, Craisins, and M&M chocolates.
After about 30 minutes, the muddy buddies should be good to go. If the chocolate hasn’t hardened yet, give them a few more minutes. Mix them into your trail mix and voila! Your snack is ready to be eaten!
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE RECIPE
What other things can I add to my trail mix?
Almost anything works in trail mix. It’s best to use things that are small, dry, and can last for a long time. Some common additions are peanuts, dried fruit, and pretzels.
How long do muddy buddies last?
Keep them in an airtight container and they will last 5 days. They do not freeze well, but they can be refrigerated.
Can I use any type of nut butter?
Natural nut butters don’t work very well in this recipe. The closest substitute for nut butter would be sunflower seed butter.
Is this recipe safe to make with your kids?
Yes! It’s a great way to get your kids in the kitchen. Just be careful with the chocolate and peanut butter as those will be hot. Other than that, no cooking or cutting is needed, so they can join in easily.
- There are so many ways you can switch up this recipe. Experiment with Chex flavors, chocolate chips, or trail mix additions.
- Feel free to use store-bought trail mix to make this recipe even easier.
- Don’t go light on the powdered sugar. The muddy buddies should be covered in confectioner’s sugar.
- For an additional layer of flavor, add some drops of vanilla extract into the melted chocolate and peanut butter.
Muddy Buddies Recipe
Chocolate-y muddy buddies and salty trail mix combined to make the ultimate snack!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooling Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- 1 box Chex cereal (any flavor)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar (feel free to use more)#
- 1 ½ cup almonds
- 1 cup Craisins
- 1 cup M&Ms
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Add a 1-2 cups of confectioner’s sugar to a large Ziploc bag and set aside. Pour the Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter (PB), and butter into a microwave safe bowl. Put it in the microwave for a minute, stir, heat for another 30 seconds, stir. Repeat until everything is melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate and PB over the Chex cereal, and mix piece of cereal is well coated.
- Add the chocolate coated cereal into the bag with confectioner’s sugar, seal, and shake. Don’t shake too hard, so you don’t break the cereal. Make sure every part of the cereal is covered in the sugar.
- Take the cereal out of the bag and place them onto the lined baking sheet to cool. Let them cool for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
- While the muddy buddies cool, prepare your trail mix. Combine whatever trail mix additions you would like together. This recipe uses almonds, Craisins, and M&M’s.
- Mix the cooled muddy buddies into the trail mix and enjoy!